SOLD: Original McLeod Banjo, Short Scale, Open Back, Maple Neck, Walnut Pot
NEW: Vega-style, short scale banjo [ONE available]
Newly available, handmade open-back banjo by myself, Malcolm McLeod, (of McLeod Banjos) with a scale length of 22”.
The shorter scale means it plays as though you are capo-ed at the third fret of a standard scale (26-27”).
This more compact size makes it a great instrument for travel, being easier to carry and transport. Or perfect for practising in your car on your lunch break as one player I know likes to do.
This banjo is very happy tuned to A, so is great for fiddle accompaniment and would certainly tune up to B, no problem.
The banjo projects well with a strong, full tone that would easily be heard in a boisterous session. It’s responsive and easy to fret.
The spec is as follows.
• Vegas style peghead
• Ebony peghead overlay
• Ebony heel cap
• MOP dots and star inlays
• 5 star planetary tuners with ivoroid buttons.
• Good quality nickel plated hardware
• Evo gold frets
• Ebony fingerboard/cream binding
• Bone top nut and fifth nut
• Maple neck with stained maple centre strip
• Small carving detail around fifth string peg
• Traditional dowel stick with ferrule
• Neck brace is raw brass, its one of my own sand cast items
• 11’ Pot
• The pot is American walnut with a rosewood cap ( ‘wooden top’)
• Outer edge of pot is capped with figured Birch
• 5/8 bridge
• No knot tailpiece
• Grooved tension hoop
• 20 bracket hooks and shoes
• Elite head
• Two way adjustable truss rod accessible from heel end of the neck.
Includes a good-quality tenor banjo hard case. It's not a perfect fit (slight room around the pot which will be packed securely for shipping), but it is a good fit for this banjo. Photos of this can also be provided.
Can provide more photos or details on request, feel free to ask me any questions!